In line with the directives by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said on the responsibilities of the private sector in respect of their contribution to the social development of communities; United Power Company takes its role as a responsible corporate citizen seriously. Over the years, the Company has actively supported local community bodies, schools and charity organizations. Valuing the importance of the youth of Oman in future progress of the country, the Company considers education as a cornerstone and accordingly takes special interests in the sponsorship and support of education and sports; two foundations for the all-round development of a young mind.
In 2017, the Company focused its efforts on education projects, youth & sports activities, society support and municipal activities. The Company carried out the following projects during the year:
• Distribution of stationary items to all students of low income families: The supervision of this activity was managed by Manah Charity Team who keeps updated registers of all the needy students in all schools located in Manah. The financial support was used to purchase stationery items (writing books, pens, pencils, color pencils, drawing books, etc….) to a total 502 needy students.
• Sponsoring the Open Day for Al Arabi Team in Manah: The club is under the umbrella of Al Bashaier Club of Manah. Participants, totaling 450 persons from different ages, were divided into four groups to carry out, among other activities: cleaning of falajes, cemetery, pathways, mosques, neighborhoods, trees trimming and general cleaning activities in Manah. It was a full day event which concluded with sports activities and cultural competitions.
• Traffic Safety Campaign: The campaign was organized by Royal Oman Police for one week during the month of March 2017. It aimed to limit traffic accidents and the related losses in lives and assets and address the matter as a development hinder issue. The campaign included an exhibition where safety gears and traffic safety guidelines were displayed, plays on traffic; a mini traffic village was setup for students. The program also included visits by students to hospitals for the injured in traffic accidents. The function was part of GCCC Traffic Week.
• The Company also sponsored a fund raising event for a non-profit organization and provided some financial contribution to the association of Early Intervention for Children with Disability.
• Financial donation to the Municipality of Manah to carry some municipal and serving projects in the Wilayat, The projects which the municipality intends to make: maintenance of Falaj, maintenance of Al Majmre public park, putting light pools, creating four umbrellas (shades) in Al Majmar public park and others.